Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Have You Ever Heard Of A Mercury Truck?

t1
That’s right, it’s a Mercury truck! As it turns out, due to some interesting dealer regulations, Mercury dealers in Canada got to sell trucks that were largely but not entirely re-badged Ford trucks. This one is a 1962 “unibody” Mercury M-250 (think F-250) with a V-8. It’s located in Canada, but if the purchaser is in the US, the seller will transport the car over the border and handle the necessary paperwork to sell it in North Dakota. It’s for sale here on eBay where bidding is just over $1,000 without a reserve as I write this.

t3
I’m not sure whether this color scheme is original; I can’t imagine a black tailgate and hood with a red and white body, but I suppose you never know. I actually kind of like the way it looks! The dog-dish hub caps are original and all four are there. All of the Mercury emblems are there as well; I would imagine those would be pretty difficult to find, especially in the USA.

t2
The seller states that the floor is in very good condition, with a small rust hole on the driver’s side and another small rust hole on the passengers side step. I’m not sure what the dark spot at the rear of the driver’s side front fender is. I do like how long the bed is; it certainly makes the truck more usable and I think the two-tone paint treatment really works.

t4
As you might expect, the interior is pretty well-worn, but you can see the bright red and white that the truck was originally. I know a lot of folks would leave the paint alone, but I think this one would look gorgeous restored with a fresh coat of red and white paint. I’d have to find a Mercury club somewhere to show it off to afterwards! However, I think the condition of the interior means this has 136,000 rather than 36,000 miles.

t5
Here’s the Y-block 292 V-8. That unusual cross-over pipe in the front is stock; anyone know details on that? The truck is said to run and drive well, and the seller has videos of it running and a 5 degree cold start that they will send to anyone interested. I know I’d be interested if things were a little different, but I’ll have to leave this one for someone else. Is it you?

Source: barnfinds.com